Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Update on the Vigilant and its guests

Today I woke up with tons of the buggers. With the drop ceilings, they just pour into the rooms no matter what one does to them. The hotel management painted the floor last week, as if that was the answer to the problem. They also took bedstands out of empty rooms (there is only about a 45% occupancy rate) and painted the stands and the rooms. The paint job was so bad I grabbed one of the young men involved and asked him pointedly if he was ever in the service. He replied that his dad was and his dad was in some special unit. I had no patience at this point; I cut him off and told him the question was about him; then I towed him over to one of the bestands, where mats of hair and dirt could be seen under a thin layer of spray paint, and told him that in the US Navy if he ever did such a lousy paint job the boatswain mates would throw him to the sharks. He then started blaming his coworkers and blubbering. He needed to grow up, so I told him where to find the army recruiter. Not that they would want him. Neither the army nor the marines are looking for a few stupid men.
Sometimes I can be mean, as many journalists can attest. It started with a hapless teacher I had at PS 64, who sent me home with a note to my mother to complain about my attitude. The next day, the note was signed and in the teacher's hands. She looked it over and demanded to know why it was scribbled over. I had to tell her my mother had me correct her spelling. And I've been correcting the spelling of the hapless ever since, whether they by journalists, mayors, or weak young men who can't hold a paintbrush.
And of course building managers and owners who can't get good help.
And then of course I have the same proclivities towards local politicians who are out-of-touch with reality - and that might or might not be Christine Quinn, who has not responded to two emails and whose phone does not pick up; or Mike Bloomberg, who leaves NY every Friday morning to play in the Bahamas. Or any number of other employees who take our hard earned and play games while we have to host these bugs.
So maybe I will be giving Quinn and Bloomberg the number of army recruiting; but I don't think they would want them any more than the hapless blubberer.

1 comment:

  1. Where are these owners from? It sounds like a concentration camp...

    ReplyDelete